The New Life Charitable Trust is the brain child of Mrs.G.Lalitha and Mr.A.A.Swamy, and saw the light of day on 2nd October 1991, coinciding with Mahatma Gandhi’s Birth Anniversary
Mrs.G.Lalitha got inspiration from her grandfather Mr. Kothandarama Iyer who was a freedom fighter to start New Life Home and she took voluntary retirement from her employment in the Office of Accountant General (A&E) to concentrate on the day to day functioning of the organization.
Mr.A.A.Swamy lost his mother at an early age, and was brought up in a boarding school and hence had to struggle for his sustenance and education. This made him strong enough to start working for betterment of parentless children. He worked for the Madras Electricity Board, and he quit his job in 1996 to play a full time role in the New Life Home as its President, as number of residents were rising.
New Life charitable Home started with 2 residents (one visually impaired, another with locomotor disabilities ) and today there are 80 senior citizens, and 15 home less children. Special thanks are extended to Dr. M. Gopalaswamy, who has been instrumental in providing and setting up the essential basic medical health services in New Life Health Center; Mr. N. R. Govindarajan, our Chartered Accountant who has been our guide since inception – his honorary service has been the pillar to New Life. A special mention of thanks for the commendable efforts of NRIs of Dubai, who helped us raise a staggering sum of 12.5 Lakhs for construction of our Home through Blood Donation in Dubai. We pledge to all blood donors of Dubai that not a drop of blood will drop in vain and their herculean efforts will not be wasted. Last but not the least, our thanks to numerous people from Doha, Singapore and Chennai who have donated the other half for completion of the New Life Home, and maintaining day to day expenses of the Home. New Life’s major sustenance is due to constant and encouraging presence of it’s many well wishers whose financial, material and emotional support has stood like a rock and helped New life to progress step by step. Be a part of our movement to eradicate poverty from INDIA.
The New Life Charitable trust was started with the definite aim of securing the well being of old people and today has spread its wings in taking care of orphaned helpless children as well. It has been serving the residents through its various activities, programs and projects. Since then there has been looking back. We have progressed slowly but steadily, leaving the following milestones behind.
- It is a Serene Shelter for male Sr.Citizens. The Sr. Citizens undergoing medical treatment are housed in the ground floor with 24 hours nursing care.
- New Life was compelled to purchase more cows and thus presently a separate building was constructed under the name and title “Lakshmi Nivas”, where 58 cows are housed.
- Kitchen Cum Dinning-Annapoorna
- A spacious dining hall with a capacity of 150, serves quality and nutritious food to our residents and visitors. The kitchen is equipped with modern facilities. It is kept always clean and neat. We maintain the best hygiene standards.
- Kalai koil
- It houses female children and also used for Vocational Training programmes. Apart from Home inmates the children from the near by villages would learn basic Computer training, Tailoring , Handicrafts, Book Binding, Dry Kitchen – preparation of Pickles, Jam etc. We request support from Donors for starting these vocational training units.
- It is a dormitory accommodation for boys, constructed on 1700 sq.ft area funded by an NRI of DOHA.
- It is dormitory Home for the Female Sr.Citizens undergoing medical treatment; It has a Duty Doctor’s Examination Room and a Medicine dispensing Room. The services of a nurse and an ambulance are available round the clock.
- Water Supply in Drought Hit Village in 2001
- The New Life Charitable Trust along with Panchayat Board Leader worked with VHERDS (Voluntary Health Education and Rural Development Society) who donated a 5 HP motor, and drinking water was brought to the village.
- Basic Health Care
- In year 2001, NEW LIFE MEDICAL CENTRE was inaugurated by Mr. T.P.Radhakrishnan, Secretary, VHERDS (Voluntary Health Education and Rural Development Society).
- Road to Village
- The first NEW LIFE Home for the aged had a thatched Roof for the inmates.